Forum

Poster: Mutant
Date Posted: 07 February 2011, 05:07am
Exploits
As you probably know, everyone who works on this game is doing so in their spare time. It's a pretty massive time commitment, but those of us working on it really enjoy it, and hope that those playing can get a lot of enjoyment out of it too. We're not earning a cent out of it (and in fact, I'm paying for hosting out of my own pocket, which is not insignificant).

Because of the time involved in building the game (which still has a long way to go), we don't have time to keep track of all the bugs that creep in. You guys (the players) generally do a really good job of finding and reporting bugs, which we appreciate. However, occasionally, something comes up that gives people an advantage in the game, e.g. gives them more gold.

Some people seem to have chosen to use this to their advantage rather than reporting it. This is a real shame... we're not Blizzard... it's not like we should catch everything before it gets released with our army of testers. It also is a huge disincentive for new players who don't know about weird bugs that could give them a huge boost... and I think we'd all agree the game is more fun the more people who play it.

I found out about one such bug just today, which is now fixed, but only after a number of players had exploited it. I've chosen not to punish anyone involved, this time (and yes, I can track exactly who's using it). There is a further bug I've been aware of for a while, which will be fixed for the next release, which no one has reported, even though I'm sure people will have discovered it.

As an incentive, I'll be awarding the first person who reports these bugs to me with 100 turns, or 50 turns if I'd already discovered it myself. In future, I'll also be taking action against anyone found using exploits (which amounts to nothing less than cheating).

I'm really flattered that so many of you spend a lot of time on this game, and I'm really hoping to expand the player base and make the game even better than it is (with help from the other contributors). But I really need your help, and taking advantage of bugs like this is only going to damage the game in the long run. So I'd really appreciate if you could let me know about these things as soon as you find them.

Thanks.

Poster: JamesOfJames
Date Posted: 07 February 2011, 05:43am
Re: Exploits
Understood - sorry about the exploit abuse, and thank you for your leniency.  It won't happen again, and the turn bonuses are more than generous.

(Just to be clear, do you mean these particular bugs, or severely exploitable bugs general?)

Date Posted: 07 February 2011, 06:09am
I mean any bug that can be used to gain a significant advantage in the game....

Poster: Axel-K
Date Posted: 07 February 2011, 06:21am
Damn! I had just discovered it, trying to account for anomalies in other players stats. Sorry for thrashing your server. Would it be possible to make paypal donations to offset hosting costs? What about the idea of declaring year zero for release 1.0 of the game to remove the residual advantages of this and past exploits?

Date Posted: 07 February 2011, 06:28am
Paypal will probably come in at some point... I'm not too worried about the cost at this stage, just making the point that no one's making money out of this.

Maybe everything will be reset at some point... but that's probably a fair way off yet.

Poster: SJD
Date Posted: 07 February 2011, 08:51am
[quote author=Axel-K link=topic=101.msg804#msg804 date=1297059660]trying to account for anomalies in other players stats..... the residual advantages of this and past exploits?
[/quote]

You mean like when the garrisons were first released and they all got XP from party quests? Yes, anomalies in player's stats were noted - and remain residual.

Poster: Axel-K
Date Posted: 07 February 2011, 18:57pm
[quote author=SJD link=topic=101.msg807#msg807 date=1297068686]
[quote author=Axel-K link=topic=101.msg804#msg804 date=1297059660]trying to account for anomalies in other players stats..... the residual advantages of this and past exploits?
[/quote]

You mean like when the garrisons were first released and they all got XP from party quests? Yes, anomalies in player's stats were noted - and remain residual.
[/quote]

That was no advantage. It dispersed the XP making characters very hard to level up and wasted XP on characters already fully leveled. The entanglement between party and garrison also had fully armoured high defense characters taking remote hits as if they were at level one.

I had more in mind the stats in certain towns...

Date Posted: 21 June 2011, 20:03pm
Just wanted to remind everyone of this. Someone just reported an exploit and received the reward (huge thanks to them :) ).

Poster: flakgordon
Date Posted: 13 November 2011, 22:16pm
This spell bug thing is an actual exploit, see my post in Bugs, basically double memorisation of spells. My priest cast his 12 Shields and another 12 popped up ready to cast. You should be able to replicate this, I rearranged my mage's spells, hit update, and he got an extra 2 Confusion.

Date Posted: 14 November 2011, 07:29am
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Date Posted: 03 December 2011, 06:46am
Ok, found and fixed this.... and a reward sent your way... thanks :)

Poster: zzzker
Date Posted: 26 January 2012, 02:46am
sometimes in like dungeons or town sewers, on the map it shows that there is a mob there but when you go ontop of the mob no option for attacking yet your circle is ontop of a mob icon...? :o

Poster: guessingo
Date Posted: 04 March 2012, 20:39pm
please punish people who clearly abuse bugs. Letting people get away with it does not discourage people. It also gives them a big advantage over everyone else. If people got extra turns, shouldn't they at a minimum lose that number of turns to balance out? That is bare minimum. They should lose more turns and other things. If it is a very abusive bug they should be banned.

I know you do this in your spare time and this is not a game I am paying for, but cheaters should be punished. It is one thing if you do something one time, but it sounds like people did this alot and got a big edge.

Date Posted: 04 March 2012, 20:54pm
Sure, I'm happy to do so when/if I encounter evidence of people exploiting bugs.

Poster: Izual
Date Posted: 04 March 2012, 21:32pm
I've noted a bug with unlocking doors in dungeons... don't think its exploitable.

When a door is blocked and I select "pick lock"... it tells me there was an error processing the request and that i should try again.... but then a few second later it unlocks (if successful).  It is however possible to lose turns by pressing that "try again" button.

Poster: Darken
Date Posted: 11 April 2012, 08:38am
There a bug with "Get a XXXX gem", as it says that local merchants wont help. This statement is a lie, cos frequently there IS such gem in local stores - so you just buy it right here and finish the quest at the same place. Free money free exp. Even though its low profit.

Date Posted: 11 April 2012, 23:47pm
Thanks, yeah that is a know issue, which will hopefully be fixed soon.