Forum

Poster: guessingo
Date Posted: 12 February 2011, 04:05am
newbie questions
1. if a party member dies, are they gone for good? Do i bury them and recruit someone else? Or can i resurrect them?
2. how do i memorize new spells that are used? I tried camping, nothing seems to happen.
3. how do i get a mayor, garrison towns, etc... I don't see an option?

any newbie guide available?

Poster: JamesOfJames
Date Posted: 12 February 2011, 04:20am
Re: newbie questions
1. They're not gone for good - stop by the nearest town's healers, and they'll fix them right up for a nominal fee.  (They'll still need to be healed to full hitpoints after they've been revived, however.)  Unless the character's has a great many points invested outside of their main stats (for example, strength for warrior), I would probably revive them rather than bury and replace.  And if you do bury, make sure to get all the equipment off the corpse first!
2.  Camping seems to not have a great deal of effect at the moment - I've tried it a few times and not noticed much difference.  To memorize new spells, click on that spellcaster's profile link - you should see (toward the bottom) three tabs labeled "Equipment", "Spells," and "History."  Click the Spells tab, change the amounts in the "# to memorize" column, and click "Update Spells."
3.  If your party is below Level 8 (or so, it's been a while), you won't see an option for raiding towns.  Raiding quests also won't appear in towns if you're too low level.  Once you're Level 8 or above, when you're next to a town, you'll see a "Raid Town" option available on the dialouge screen beside the main map - I'd advise against raiding towns until you're a bit higher level than that, though.  If you find a town run by an NPC mayor with a prosperity below 20, that would probably be a good town to try raiding once you're able.

Poster: SJD
Date Posted: 12 February 2011, 05:12am
Camping stores healing to be applied at the day's rollover. Pretty sure that's in the help, or it used to be.

Poster: Axel-K
Date Posted: 12 February 2011, 06:33am
[quote author=SJD link=topic=104.msg836#msg836 date=1297487532]
Camping stores healing to be applied at the day's rollover. Pretty sure that's in the help, or it used to be.
[/quote]

Not in the help. I never saw it before. I have been playing for about a year, so maybe it was in a previous version.

Date Posted: 12 February 2011, 06:49am
The new spells that you select only come into effect when a new day dawns.

You can garrison in the wilderness at level 6. This allows you to get hit points and gold without spending turns. If your garrison is damaged and caused to flee, you lose any gold gained. If your garrison is destroyed in the wilderness, then it cannot be revived. A town garrison can be resurrected. A garrison is also a useful way of increasing your daily allotment of turns - you can keep characters in it armed with enchanted items that increase turns, while your party roams.

Date Posted: 12 February 2011, 07:50am
[quote author=Axel-K link=topic=104.msg840#msg840 date=1297493399]This allows you to get hit points and gold without spending turns.[/quote]
Since he corrected me earlier, I'll correct him - I'm pretty sure he meant "get experience and gold."

Date Posted: 12 February 2011, 11:57am
JamesOfJames is of course, quite right - I meant XP. What you do with the XP is entirely up to your own discretion - increase agility, intelligence, blow it all on Rouges, whatever.

Date Posted: 12 February 2011, 12:23pm
so wait a second you can only use a few spells each day? you cannot get the spells back that day?
so how valuable are spellcasters? I have a standard dungeons and dragons party

2 warriors
1 archer
1 priest
1 mage

if my spellcasters cant get spells back until the next day, then spellcasting does not seem that useful

Is there a way to get more turns?
What time zone is the game in? Trying to figure out when the day the day ends?
Anyway to spawn more creatures? I am doing the "kill creatures near town" quests and i waste alot of turns finding more creatures.
Do creatures spawn during the day? so if i go to a location and there is none there, will there be some later the same day?

Date Posted: 12 February 2011, 13:47pm
You can do without a mage, but you can't really do without a priest.

The priest is necessary for healing when you are in combat (you can only resurrect a dead character in a town). They are also useful in dungeon quests for breaking magical seals. Mages are less useful, though 'confusing' makes an opponent easier to hit, and 'flaming' can hit them hard. The main stat for priests is divinity, intelligence for mages. They both start off very weak, and are hard to level up. As they rise in level, they get more 'spell points' and their magic gets stronger. Some people recommend buying a higher level priest rather than waiting for the original one to level up.

You get more turns by buying or winning enchanted items that add extra turns. Check out the 'enchanted items' tab in the equipment shops (the enchanted items in question may be weak in combat, in which case it is best to equip them only when you are parked in the town for the night). You can conserve turns by moving on easy terrain such as roads, meadows, and light forest. If you increase the 'constitution' stat then you will find that it takes fewer turns to cross difficult terrain (this stat also increases your weight carrying capacity, and the maximum hit-points).

The day ends at roughly 4.30 a.m GMT. You should see a 'time to next day' legend on the top bar of the main screen.

The creatures seem to be spawned at random intervals from locations referred to in the towns as 'orbs' and they move about randomly, so they probably will arrive in places where you have found none. Your best bet for finding creatures is in a dungeon. You can find a dungeon by taking a dungeon quest or by consulting the town Sage.

Date Posted: 12 February 2011, 16:11pm
so should i go directly to dungeons instead of doing quests?
if i do quests, what quests should I do?
Is my mix of characters appropriate? 2 warriors, 1 archer, 1 priest, 1 mage.

how should I raise stats for my warriors and my archer? Should archer be 100% agility ?

How doe the extra turns for enchanted items work? How many do you get?

Date Posted: 12 February 2011, 16:59pm
That's a tough one. Everyone has their own general strategy. Sorry for the long answer.

I would say to hang around towns initially (for quick healing and revival of dead characters) doing creature killing quests. If creatures become scarce, then take a 'deliver a message' quest. That will increase the amount of the map visible. You can continue killing creatures at the new town. One 'gotcha' about message quests is that you must return to the original town to collect the reward.

The good thing about dungeon quests is that the groups of monsters become visible as you enter a room. You can pick your fights, or you can try to avoid all fights and simply hunt for the treasure. One downside of treasure chests at the moment is that you can find so much stuff that your party is immobilized. You may end up dropping stuff just to get mobile again. If you do, look carefully at each item you consider dropping - it may have a useful enchantment, it might be a better replacement for something you already have equipped. 'Indestructible' is a very good enchantment to find - this means that it does not have to be constantly repaired, and a good blacksmith can increase its power considerably.

I see that you only have five characters out of a maximum of eight. You might consider trading in the mage for another archer. Every second turn, archers get two shots. My ideal party is three warriors, four archers, and a priest.

Warriors need strength for their offensive power and carrying capacity (though agility is useful). Priests use 'divinity', Mages use 'intelligence'. Constitution increases 'movement factor' - you waste less turns, you can carry more, and I think you get more HP with each level up.

The brilliant thing about archers is that 'agility' is both their offensive power and defensive - you don't have to trade off offense against defense. The bad thing is that you have to pay for missiles, which run out. Give them a combination mainly of 'agility' but also some 'constitution' - constitution will increase their carrying capacity and movement factor. Slings are pretty good weapons, and they allow you to carry a shield as well, increasing defensive power.

The extra turns vary per item. You could be lucky and find a steel head cap that gives 20 extra turns. Mostly you get four or five in an item. They only have to be equipped as the day ends, unless they are also good for combat.

Poster: Mutant
Date Posted: 12 February 2011, 22:23pm
There'll be a way to get a few more turns each day in the next release (about a week away).

Spell casters get very strong at higher levels, but are weak earlier on. It's up to you to decide whether you want to spend the time to level up mages/priests from lower levels.

Camping heals injured characters overnight. But it's not the most useful feature... I'm probably going to remove it at some point.

Creatures do spawn several times during the day. Right now, creatures are less likely to be near towns, especially high prosperity towns. That's something I'm tweaking at the moment, so should get a bit better in the next release. You do, of course, have several days to finish a quest, so if you're struggling to find creatures to kill, it might be best to wait a day or so.

The number of turns can be a problem when you first start playing.. but there are ways to maximise your turn usage (mostly already covered in this thread).

Date Posted: 13 February 2011, 06:57am
[quote author=guessingo link=topic=104.msg843#msg843 date=1297513434]
Anyway to spawn more creatures? I am doing the "kill creatures near town" quests and i waste alot of turns finding more creatures.
[/quote]
[quote author=guessingo link=topic=104.msg848#msg848 date=1297527106]
Is my mix of characters appropriate? 2 warriors, 1 archer, 1 priest, 1 mage.
how should I raise stats for my warriors and my archer? Should archer be 100% agility ?
[/quote]
I wanted to add a bit more in response to these points.  No, you can't do anything to spawn more creatures, but creatures will be far more numerous around an Orb - these are essentially spawn points for monsters.  You may start seeing quests to destroy orbs soon; those are also usually pretty good quests to take at a lower level.  (and may often overlap with kill nearby monsters quests.
You can avoid wasting too many turns by scouting - this will tell you (some) of the monsters in your vicinity.  Make a note of where the baddies are, and you'll waste far fewer turns hunting fruitlessly.  (Also, if you've not noticed yet, hovering over an adjacent plot of land will tell you how many turns it takes to move there.  For example, you may see "Dense Forest (4) (XX, YY)."  The 4 would be the amount of turns it takes to move there.)
As for your party makeup, I would add an archer, another warrior, and another priest, in that order.  Bless and Blades are excellent spells for your priests, and aside from the direct-damage spells of Energy Beam and Flame, Mages can also cast the useful spell Entangle.  I would definitely start looking for indestructible Long Swords, Halberds, and Bows - smithing these items, as others have said, can make all the difference and is one of the best investments you can make.
As for how to balance your stats, I typically work on getting my characters' Constitution, Agility, and whatever their main stat (Strength for Warriors, Intelligence for Mages, and so on) up to 18 first.  Once that's done, they're usually pretty well set defensively - it's then up to you to decide whether to focus on Strength for good hit-rate, Int/Div for stronger spells, or Agility and Con for better dodge rates/hit points.