Forum

Poster: JamesOfJames
Date Posted: 14 February 2011, 07:18am
Weapons Comparisons
Hey all - I've been wondering what weapons are the best for various purposes, so I compiled some statistics on the standard equipment.  I figure that this should carry over to smithed weapons - applying the same amount of money to two different weapons may level out the curve in places, but shouldn't change too much.  If you want to make sure, feel free to extend my work and let us know what you find!  Now, a little raw data, just for reference:

Highest Damage
1) Bastard Sword / Halberd (Tie)
2) Two-Handed Sword / Battle Axe (Tie)
3) Long Sword / Pike (Tie)
4) Hand Axe

1) Long Bow
2) Short Bow
3) Sling / Small Crossbow (Tie)

Best Attack Factor
1) Flail
2) Halberd
3) Long Sword / Broadsword (Tie)
4) Spear

1) Short Bow, Sling, & Small Crossbow (Tie)
2) Long Bow

Now, for some actual analysis!

Best Weapons (Method 1)
1) Halberd
2) Long Sword
3) Battle Axe / Bastard Sword (Tie)
4) Spear / Hand Axe (Tie)

1) Short Bow
2) Sling / Small Crossbow (Tie)
3) Long Bow

Worst Weapons (Method 1)
1) Short Sword
2) Mace
3) Dagger / Quarterstaff (Tie)
4) War Hammer / Pike (Tie)

First, I ranked both their raw attack and damage numbers.  Next, I combined those ranks and ranked those - essentially, this should translate as highest average damage per round.  However, I wouldn't use Battle Axes, and wouldn't favor Bastard Swords - both are really imbalanced, so though their hits might be hard, I'd rather get many more hits more often for a little less damage than a few solid hits.

Best Weapons (Method 2)
1) Halberd
2) Long Sword
3) Flail
4) Battle Axe

1) Short Bow
2) Sling, Small Crossbow, & Long Bow (Tie)

Worst Weapons (Method 2)
1) Short Sword
2) Quarterstaff
3) Dagger / Mace (Tie)
4) Pike / War Hammer  (Tie)

This one's a bit differently calculated, and should fit actual average Damage/Turn data better.  The actual formula's (Attack/Max Attack)*(Damage/Max Damage).  Where they agree: Halberds and Long Swords are the way to go, which I have suspected for quite some time.  The worst list is the same, just in different order, with Short Swords being the most apparent lemon of a weapon.  (The rest of these rankings will be based off of Method 2.)

Total Damage before Repair
1) Halberd
2) Long Sword
3) Battle Axe
4) Flail

1) Small Crossbow
2) Short Bow
3) Long Bow
4) Sling

Method 2*Durability.  I figure if you use these til they're broken, these are your best weapons.

Most Effective per Weight (Campaigning)
1) Dagger
2) Halberd
3) Long Sword
4) Spear

1) Short Bow
2) Small Crossbow
3) Long Bow
4) Sling

Total damage/Weight - These are the ones you want on dungeon crawls.

Most Effective per Weight
1) Halberd
2) Long Sword
3) Dagger
4) Hand Axe

1) Sling
2) Short Bow
3) Small Crossbow
4) Long Bow

Damage per turn/Weight - these are the ones you want to keep movement factor up on the world map.

The main thing that surprised me was the ranged weapons.  I can't believe I've gone this long in the game believing that Long Bows were one of the best weapons - I guess I should've done the math sooner.  Personally, I would consider changing those stats when the game moves from pre-beta to beta - it's perhaps a bit misleading and not terribly true-to-life in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, do any of you old timers or team members know if there are plans/was there ever a Large Crossbow?

Poster: Mutant
Date Posted: 14 February 2011, 21:29pm
Re: Weapons Comparisons
The ranged weapon stats probably do need tweaking. They haven't really been changed since the game was initially launched.

Not sure about Large Crossbow... guess it got missed out somehow.