Forum

Poster: grayaii
Date Posted: 18 August 2012, 20:27pm
Development Blog or Wiki
From one casual game developer to another, great job on this game!
I enjoy playing it.  It reminds me of the good old days :)
BTW, do you have a development blog on how you created this game?
Keep up the good work,
zander
www.graycoresoftware.com

Poster: Mutant
Date Posted: 19 August 2012, 20:53pm
Re: Development Blog or Wiki
No development blog sorry... more than happy to answer questions though :)

Glad you enjoy it.

Poster: grayaii
Date Posted: 21 August 2012, 17:09pm
Cool. The first game I made and sold was in 2005 and it was a c#/DirectX game (I'm almost done with my second game written in c#/openGL)
I want to start learning how to develop games like yours, and I suspect this is what I'll need to know:
1. SQLite (I suspect this is the database that you're running the background)
2. A bunch of cgi scripts that interact with the database.  I suspect you have a bunch of a javascript and perl script that handle all the user events.  Since I'm fluent in python, I suspect I'll start with django (unfortunately my web host does not allow django unless I pay an ungodly amount per month).
3. Since only parts of the page are being refreshed, you're probably running some ajax code to render only the parts of the page that need to be rendered.

I outsourced all my graphics and music/sound effects, but a web game is light on this media, so I'll probably be all set there.
That's my guess though.

Have fun on your 1 month time off!
-zander-

Poster: Mutant
Date Posted: 21 August 2012, 20:41pm
[quote author=grayaii link=topic=620.msg2690#msg2690 date=1345568949]
1. SQLite (I suspect this is the database that you're running the background)
[/quote]

I'm running mysql. If I had my time over, I'd probably use postgres though (I may change eventually). SQLite is probably not a good choice, it's only really designed for single user access.

2. A bunch of cgi scripts that interact with the database.  I suspect you have a bunch of a javascript and perl script that handle all the user events.  Since I'm fluent in python, I suspect I'll start with django (unfortunately my web host does not allow django unless I pay an ungodly amount per month).
[/quote]

Sort of. Not CGI exactly, but server side code. This can be run in a variety of ways (I'm currently using FastCGI, which is quite different to CGI). Python with Django is a good choice. I use Catalyst Framework in Perl, which is similar to Django.

3. Since only parts of the page are being refreshed, you're probably running some ajax code to render only the parts of the page that need to be rendered.
[/quote]

Yes, lots of AJAX, with Jquery and Dojo toolkit Javascript libraries. This is necessary as parts of the game get pretty heavy in terms of load times, so you only want to load them when necessary. I'd recommend starting simple (with little or no AJAX), and adding it in when you need performance improvements.

Have fun on your 1 month time off!
-zander-
[/quote]

Thanks, will do!