Forum

Poster: pelarn
Date Posted: 19 October 2012, 18:59pm
Start from the Beginning?
What u all think about that?

The Game by now is very static and for new Groups its hard to catch up.
Therfore i think we need a newstart from Scratch.

But...

with some "Updates",here my thougths

1.to conquer a Town or getting elected as a Mayor a Player MUST have at least 8 lvl 25 Chars,and when the town is yours one Char stayes in the City as Mayor(no change possible),for the next Town u need 16 lvl 25 Chars and so on to prohibit mass Town accuireing.
2.no more 500 xp per char in a Town garrision,therefore all players have to get the chars up to lvl 25 by themselfs(xp for fighting an enemy player wanting that town is ok)
3.when conquering a town,a player MUST defeat all guards in it before he can get a hand to the mayor,so any player can put many guards in their towns to make it costy for any attacker to get that town(note to mutant...there must be a limit to that otherwise a town cant be conquered,for conquering a town u still need that 8 chars lvl 25 rule)
4.when conquering a town,for winning fights any player DONT get any experience or gold or items for killing guards,otherwise lvling a group is too easy.

other tips...
1.a town owner must be able to build roads to other cities,lets say one road for every 20 population(costs money and some turns to build)
2.a town owner should have the chance to prohibit a group to enter their town(relationship hostile for example)
3.a town owner should have the chance to "upgrade" the squares direktly around that town to raise prosperity
4. a town owner also should have the chance to change the terrain of the adjacent squares around their town(very costy)
5. i wished it could be implemented that a player can build a town from scatch by themselfs,building mines in mountains for getting iron and stone,and getting the other resources needed in the other terrain grounds

more other tips...
1.dungeons! it would be fine that stronger monstergroups drops better loot,i am sick to kill 10 gold dragons and find 1 arrow as a loot,therfore younger groups dont get so strong too soon,for example lvl1-10 groups can only buy magic items with one suffix,lvl 11-20 items with 2 suffix and over lvl 21 3 suffix items and more(there are 4 suffix items in here when u kill a special boss with his minions)
2.closed doors! as it is now there is just a gamble that u hit the right one of the three possibilities to open a stuck door,it has nothing to do with ablilities(i have  a mage that has about 60 strength and he isnt any better in opening a stuck door than a char that has 10 strength)first i thougth to open such doors would need strength to ram them open,to have dexterity to pick lock and to have either intelligence or divinity for the third action but nope it isnt,would be nice to change that.
3.i have a group with 60 awareness and this works fine on single chests,but when i found a treasure room it doesnt work as it should,so awarness is nearly useless.would be also nice that u could find better(magical)loot when having a group with high awarness.
4.awarness!if you have a new dungeon and enter a new room u dont get any better chance to find secret doors,therefore u have to sacrifice a turn to get the possibility to find such.i think a group with high awarness find nearly all at once when entering an unknown dungeon.
5.dungeon move it too expensive it should be 1 turn per 3 squares(not 2 turns),otherwise u use up turns too quickly
6.would be funny to have a "reroll magic item" thingie in any town,to have a chance to get an item that fits your group :D(nobody needs an weapon to cast watcher or such lol)

pheeew that my thougths for a new beginning whats yours(besides of that tip that the group warriors arent allowed to play :):D  )?

Poster: swholmes@gmail.com
Date Posted: 20 October 2012, 23:56pm
Re: Start from the Beginning?
I think you just made the game very un-static with your 44 town tour/grab.

Date Posted: 21 October 2012, 03:27am
well, make that 8 less.  i wouldn't mind a complete character wipe, though I'm sure we'd lose some players if that happened

Date Posted: 21 October 2012, 19:31pm
u right sprawling,i could wipe out 50 towns a turn,therefore i think we need a newstart with the description i wrote down so nobody can have more than lets say 5 towns in a half years game play

Poster: Weebi
Date Posted: 22 October 2012, 01:16am
Those are some good ideas... right now it seems most of the active players are in staber and the only war is between everyone and you. Could be interesting to mix things up again. I was thinking add rivers and other various bodies of water with maybe a bit bigger playing field combined with a reason to win the crown.

Poster: Mutant
Date Posted: 22 October 2012, 04:20am
The big problem with a world reset is it would probably mean a lot of people leave the game and never come back. If you'd just been levelling up a party, and learning the game, and suddenly you get reset, you'd be pretty annoyed and maybe quit (I know I would).

Some of your ideas are things that are planned (building roads, founding towns), and have been planned for a long time. I just haven't had a chance to get to them... maybe one day.

Also, a lot of your suggestions favour grinding in dungeons. I know that's what you (and some other players) spend a lot of your time doing, but I don't really want the game to be about that. It's fine if you need to do some of that, but it shouldn't be the whole game.

Politics and alliances are really where I want the higher levels to be focussed. A lot of tweaking, etc. is needed to get that working right. I still think someone could easily carve a huge swathe through Staberinde without too much effort, especially a small group working together.

Date Posted: 22 October 2012, 08:08am
you could be right mutant,if you restart the game some people would leave the game,but its still a beta and everyone knows it.
in my opinion you should make a complete new start,even to risk that some people will leave.
than make a good propaganda for this new start and you will get more players than now(even more active ones)
but to do this you need (if you can)to tweak a lot in this game to make things better for all.
and....GET A QUICKER SERVER :D this one is far too lazy when more than 5 people playing at once,imagine 20-50 players play in the same time....;)

Date Posted: 22 October 2012, 19:57pm
let's just turn the entire map green and see what happens  ;D

Date Posted: 22 October 2012, 19:59pm
Another option is to have multiple game worlds. I'll look into adding this functionality sometime soon.

Server speed is not something I can do much about. The existing server already costs quite a bit. Some optimisations (coming soonish) will help.

Date Posted: 23 October 2012, 16:12pm
more worlds? hmm i think thats not so good,cause here you have only a few players playing the game by now.
with more worlds it would spread so you have 2-4 people playing one world alone,i think its more fun playing one world with many,especially for politic reasons.
i think one of the main probs is to get 2 player styles together...mine which sticks to dungeons and get the group as good as i could and the second which sticks to town development and politics.
for the first group(mine)you just do a lvl 5 dungeon with even harder monsters as gold dragons(platinum,diamond dragons titans ents and so on)and tweak the drop rate for harder monsters,thats it.
for the second group you need a lot more tweaking....
one of the urgents tweak should be the limitation of towns accuireing as i described above.
roads to build,mines to have,and even armies to build(for the later stages)or political warfare and so on...
remember...we are all here to help you makin this game the best ever ;)
but...and this is the mayor point,you need a lot of time for tweaking,not imagine the time for fix bugs and so on.
we all hope that you will find the time :D

Date Posted: 23 October 2012, 20:29pm
There would be nothing stopping people playing in both game worlds (I wouldn't imagine there'd be too many more than 2 or 3 to begin with).

Also, that would make resets more palatable - they could be scheduled for every x months, with different cycles for each world (or the reset could be triggered by something in the game). New players could choose a world that wasn't going to reset for a while.

Date Posted: 26 October 2012, 13:16pm
I'm completely in favor of limiting the number of mayors you can have to 10.  Right now, if you don't want to start a war, you have to wait for a player to go inactive to get new towns (linerunners just went inactive and pelarn had his 44 town run).  With 10 towns you're basically got an unlimited supply of gold once you build them up.

Date Posted: 26 October 2012, 16:19pm
i think its time for me to wait for a newstart,cause i dont have any aims right now..:(
i have one of the strongest group in here,and can easily make a 40 or 50 town run.(depends on real time i have).
beginning from anew would give me again the aim to have the strongest group ;).this reminds me of long time aims...
for town owners i could be that political war thingie mutant told about,but for dungeon runners...?
anytime i will take a look in the forum now and then and overlook if changes are made.

Poster: Kooho
Date Posted: 27 October 2012, 09:02am
What if you could sell characters you've trained directly to people, would that be interesting?

You would do what you like the most, but would also indirectly have an effect on the politics or whatever, selling high level characters to kingdoms you like the most or would want to succeed.

Date Posted: 31 October 2012, 14:46pm
Would it be difficult to increase the map size by 4? Could the server handle it?

Date Posted: 31 October 2012, 20:17pm
Yes, it's possible, and something I've planned for a while.

There are a couple of issues though... while the server could handle it, some things might run a bit slower (there would be more towns to add equipment to, etc). There would also be an issue for the size of the mini-map.

Also, it might just lead to the existing kingdoms (well, kingdom as there's really only one active right now) expanding into the new area and not really giving anyone else a chance.

So yes, it's possible, but there are a few technical hurdles.

I think some limits around how easily a kingdom can expand are what we need right now. Expanding the world, or even resetting won't actually solve that problem on their own.

Date Posted: 01 November 2012, 12:54pm
[quote author=Mutant link=topic=806.msg2839#msg2839 date=1351714625]
Yes, it's possible, and something I've planned for a while.

There are a couple of issues though... while the server could handle it, some things might run a bit slower (there would be more towns to add equipment to, etc). There would also be an issue for the size of the mini-map.

Also, it might just lead to the existing kingdoms (well, kingdom as there's really only one active right now) expanding into the new area and not really giving anyone else a chance.

So yes, it's possible, but there are a few technical hurdles.

I think some limits around how easily a kingdom can expand are what we need right now. Expanding the world, or even resetting won't actually solve that problem on their own.
[/quote]

Limiting mayors to 10 will help, and have a approval rating penalty further the town is from the kingdoms capital to the point where it's impossible to keep a town in a kingdom if its too far away.

Date Posted: 01 November 2012, 19:40pm
It will probably be less than 10... actually, it likely won't be a hard limit, but it'll just be difficult to increase the number after a certain point.

We also have a plan to make it harder (but not impossible) to build large kingdoms... hope to post the details soon.

Date Posted: 02 November 2012, 12:30pm
The prosperity of distant towns could be diminished too, making it actually cost money to have towns far away.