Forum

Poster: Solemn Ranger
Date Posted: 16 April 2013, 01:50am
server problems?
Wonder if anyone else is noticing this.

For about the past 3-4 weeks, the server seems to go dead for me at regular intervals.  I've never actually tried to time it, but it seems to occur at about 15-20 minute intervals on a consistent basis.  When it happens, the game either hangs indefinitely on the loading screen or it hangs for a while then I get the error: retry/report bug message.  The server always starts responding again after what seems like about 4 or 5 minutes.  Then the whole cycle repeats about 15-20 minutes later.  During most of these outages it won't respond to a logout either.  I usually end up closing the browser and logging back in a few minutes later.

I play at various times of the day, it doesn't seem to correlate with any specific time.  I play on 4 different computers, from 2 different IPs, and using 3 different OS's: same thing happens on all of them.  I doesn't seem to correlate with other player activity: it happens when I'm the only player logged in and it happens when there are multiple players logged in.  It seems to happen regardless of what my  party is doing in game: sometimes it's in dungeons, sometimes in town, sometimes outdoors. 

Seems to me that it has to be either an issue with Firefox (the only browser I use) or an issue with the server.

Any ideas?

Poster: Mutant
Date Posted: 16 April 2013, 02:17am
Re: server problems?
Sounds like a server issue.... will look at it when I get a chance, but that could be a little while off...

Date Posted: 16 April 2013, 02:51am
Thanks Mutant, that was a quick response!  I timed the latest couple rounds...

server unresponsive for about 4 minutes
server responsive for about 11 minutes
server unresponsive for about 1 minute
server responsive for about 13 minutes
server unresponsive for about 4 minutes

Things seem to noticeably slow down right before and right after it becomes totally unresponsive. 

Date Posted: 16 April 2013, 02:58am
Yeah, it's probably things running in the background (e.g. offline combat) causing issues....

Date Posted: 16 April 2013, 03:14am
I've restarted some stuff.... that might have helped things... let me know.

Date Posted: 16 April 2013, 03:40am
Been in game for 22 minutes.  No major slowdown yet.  In fact the server seems fast.  Will post an update tomorrow. 

Thanks again Mutant.

Date Posted: 16 April 2013, 03:42am
Cool, if that's the problem I'll have to look at putting a permanent fix in place.... something that seems to happen a bit and I just fix manually when I notice it...

But yeah, let me know if it happens again, it might just be fast right now because I restarted things...

Date Posted: 17 April 2013, 01:43am
Was in game for 35 consecutive minutes.  Didn't notice any slowdowns.

Date Posted: 17 April 2013, 01:50am
OK, that probably confirms my suspicions on the cause... I can probably do something to stop that happening :)

Date Posted: 17 April 2013, 02:36am
Awesome!

Date Posted: 18 April 2013, 01:24am
Experiencing some extended server time-outs tonight.

Date Posted: 18 April 2013, 03:33am
Yeah, not sure what's going on.... doesn't seem to be the same issue... no idea what's causing it....  :(

Date Posted: 18 April 2013, 05:33am
Seems like it was a problem with my hosting provider... seems to be good now.

Date Posted: 18 April 2013, 19:03pm
It did seem like a different problem.  No problems yet today.